Home      Appeal my sentence

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I appeal my sentence?
Yes. You can choose to appeal only the conviction (a finding of guilt) or only the sentence, or you can appeal both. By appealing both you are setting up a contingency plan: your first goal is to overturn the conviction, but if that fails, you may be able to have your sentence reduced. As a practical matter, appeals against conviction(s) and appeals against sentence proceed at the same time, as if they were a single appeal.
An appeal against sentence (also referred to as a sentence appeal) if successful, may result in less jail time, the ability to serve the sentence in “house arrest” if the duration of the sentence is less than two years, or the variation or removal of other orders, such as driving prohibitions and D.N.A. orders.