Home      I have missed the deadline

Frequently Asked Questions

What if I have missed the deadline for launching an appeal?
The Court of Appeal for Ontario and the Ontario Superior Court can grant special permission to allow an appeal to be launched even though more than 30 days has passed since the date you were sentenced. In order to grant an extension of time, the court must be satisfied that you had the intention to appeal within the permitted timeframe but, through no fault of your own, you were unable to file the necessary paperwork (the Notice of Appeal) on time. The delay must be reasonably accounted for and cannot be excessive.
Back to top